Saturday, September 29, 2018

Hard work pays off in expressing thoughts in Sunway-Oxbridge Essay Writing Competition

      Our warmest congratulations to Annabelle Kang Huei Min from S2 Canberra and Tiffany Ching Jia Xin from J3 Melbourne on their excellent performance in the Sunway-Oxbridge Essay Competition 2018! They both proudly bagged a consolation prize with a certificate, a cash prize of RM500 and a Sunway bursary worth RM5000, awarded by Sunway University and the Oxford and Cambridge Society Malaysia respectively.

      This national level competition has come to its fifth year, inviting secondary school students from Form One to Form Five to submit their original essays in English on the topic of Transformasi Nasional 2050 (TN50). In Category A, students in Form One to Form Three were required to write an essay of 200 to 350 words on “How would you like to see your city, town, or village change by 2015?” Students in Form Four and Form Five in Category B were to present their ideas on the topic of “What is your vision for Malaysia in 2050? What is your role to achieve it?” with a word count of 500-650 words. 


      The organiser claimed that 388 schools had participated in this annual competition this year with 3763 entries nationwide, which showed a significant increase by 70% compared to last year.

      To take part in this essay competition, participants had to send in their essays on 24 April 2018.  The shortlisted finalists were then invited to write another essay  in the on-site finals held at Sunway University on 9 June. This year, four students  from our school emerged as the finalists. They were Chai Chu Xun from S1 Melbourne and Kuan Kwok Yong from S1 Canberra and the two consolation prize winners. Again, we would like to send our heartiest congratulations to the finalists and winners on their great achievements. We hope that they will go to great lengths to shine in the journey of writing, develop more sophisticated writing skills and feel the joy in expressing their thoughts.

Annabelle Kang Huei Min (S2 Canberra)
Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to win a prize in this essay competition as I am not very confident in my essay writing, especially when writing on-the-spot. Although it is only a consolation prize, I am still very thrilled and grateful for this experience. I would like to thank my English teacher, Ms. Radha, for giving me this opportunity, and also all my previous English teachers for their guidance and encouragement.

Tiffany Ching Jia Xin ( J3 Melbourne)
Honestly I entered this competition not expecting to win anything, but something came out of it! I am really thankful for the opportunity given to take part in this essay competition and win one of the prizes. I thank Ms. Chua for encouraging me and my class to participate in this external competition; otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to win.




No comments:

Post a Comment