Saturday, September 29, 2018

Comes out 3rd in HELP 7th International English Debate Competition 02

Bernard Siow Terng Fong (S1 Adelaide)
       It has been an amazing journey to be on this team. I mean, first of all, debating is exciting and fun. You get to scold people, and people get to scold you! Of course, the scolding part is a joke, but the satisfaction one can reap from a debate is actually pretty huge. To those who are interested, do try joining one; it doesn't matter what language it is conducted in. Also, my teammates Anthony, Derek and Alex have been really amazing. They are all really skilled debaters, and any credit a 3rd-place finish deserves should go to them. 
       Not forgetting, as well, our trainers that are the only reason we somewhat know what we are doing: Mr. Azim and Mr Muqriz.Thank you so much! 
       To be absolutely honest, I can't say I am happy. We expected way more out of this run than third place. But, we will improve on our mistakes, and try harder next year! 

Anthony Teh Kai Hung (S3 Berlin)
       Many thanks to Mr Muqriz and Mr Azim for putting the effort into training us, and of course Miss Jay for getting me started on this wonderful yet competitive path, debate. In short, we got 3rd in this year’s debate competition. I wished it could have been better but alas, fate and shaky arguments restricted me and my teammates. However, without any one of my teammates, we would have lost during the preliminary round.
       We have worked really hard to put our beloved school name on the board of “top debaters” in the HELP competition. I would like to urge my juniors who are interested in debate to join the ELC debate club, and carry on the legacy. I know there is a little debater inside all of you, itching and waiting to burst out and take the floor with arguments and counter-proposals that even MIDP would be shocked to see.
       We have built the foundation. Now it is your time to take the lead, and grow Hin Hua’s debate club to new heights. With that I end my case, let the floor be the judge, would you join us and fight the good fight? Only you hold the answer.


Derek Yuen Yee Jun (S2 Washington)
       This is my first time representing the school for a debate tournament. At the beginning of the year, I joined the ELC debate club, and I was frequently lost with how the debate was executed. When Ms Chua asked me whether I would be interested in a debate tournament, I was scared as I had never experienced an official debate before, and I am pretty new in the game. However, I really like to share ideas and argue on issues, which is probably my main motivation in enhancing my skills in debating. 
       During the preliminary round, I was constantly under the fear of not being able to achieve the expectations of myself, but after my first debate, I realized that although sometimes things may seem hard at the first glance, it is a totally different perspective once you are in it. I am so thankful to everyone who has been pushing me to join the debate club. As they say: “Regret is more painful than failure”. To anyone who is reading this, don’t be afraid to do something you like, regretting afterwards is more agonizing. At last, I couldn’t have reached so far without the help of all  my trainers, all my friends in the debate club, and my comrades in the competition. Thank you all so much as you have added more colours in my senior years of high school.

Alex Aw Zhi Sen (J3 Chicago)
       Personally, I think debating is a fun and intellectual sport. There is nothing like the feeling of winning. I believe this is valid for all types of sports. But to fail in doing so will only lead to calamitous conclusions. 
       Still, I will not let this be a repressing factor in my path to the refinement of skills. This minor setback shall be the foundations of my future. I shall, from this learning experience,  acquire any useful information for the times to come. 
       This has truly been an exciting experience, although we failed to get the grand prize, maybe we'll have better luck next time. Third time lucky, perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment